I think that it depends on type of database link you created.
CONNECTED_USER versus CURRENT_USER.
Imagine two users - user "A" in database "A" and user "B" in database "B".
User "B" wants to connect to database "A" using link and do something...

Now: If the database link is of type CONNECTED_USER then user "B"
connects to database "A" as /connected_/ user "B" so the rights must
be done for user "B".
     If the database link is of type CURRENT_USER then user "B" connects
to database "A" as a user who owns the trigger (in this case as
/current_/user "A").

If I understood you problem clearly it will be better to do database
link of type CURRENT_USER (your public db link in the example is
of type CONNECTED_USER).

Try reading
http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76960/ds_admin.htm#24406
Maybe it will be clearer. :-)