Thanks for the reply.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/10/02 11:11AM >>>
Jay,
 I have switched to DBMS_STATS for quite some now. Most databases are
8.1.7.x.
 I have not had any problems running DBMS_STATS. Or from the generated
stats.

- Kirti

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 9:31 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Now that I finally have all of our databases upgraded to 8.1.7 I am taking
some time to look at our method of gathering statistics for CBO.  It looks
like I should move towards using DBMS_STATS to gather statistics, but I may
want to use ANALYZE if I need to gather stats on individual columns
(according to Note:166215.1).  I was just curious to know if most DBAs are
using  DBMS_STATS instead of ANALYZE.  For the most part, I had been using
DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA.  I'll probably start using
DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS unless somebody convinces me otherwise.  Any
comments or things that I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications