Following is an excerpt from the white paper How to Stop Defragmenting and
Start Living:

These extent sizes are chosen to be a multiple of five blocks since Oracle7
will round all extent sizes to a multiple of five blocks.   In Oracle8
extents won't be rounded to a multiple of five blocks if they are a
multiple of the minimum extent size for the tablespace.  For Oracle8
databases, choosing the following extent sizes is a little simpler.
   1)       Segments smaller than 128M should be placed in 128K extent
   tablespaces.
   2)       Segments between 128M and 4G should be placed in 4M extent
   tablespaces.
   3)       Segments larger than 4G should be placed in 128M extent
   tablespaces
   For the remainder of this paper we will assume that the Oracle7 extent
   sizes are used since they can be used in both releases.

I have some partitioned indexes that I am trying to split out into
individual tablespaces, one tablespace per partition.   In the excerpt
below, I'm not sure what the meaning of segment is.  My question is this.
If the entire index is 152M and an individual index partition is 5m, then
what size extent sizes should I use in my index partition tablespaces?
Note that this is an 8.0.4 database.

Thanks for your clarification on this issue.

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network