Remco,

When you say you cannot drop, what do you mean? Does it wait forever? If
so, your table could be made up of thousands of extents. There are tips on
Metalink on how to drop a table with a large number of extents, and to make
it run faster? Look up.

And as for the dictionary table you are talking off, those would be the
space transaction tables, mainly uet$, fet$, obj$, seg$. But its not
advicable. The only correct way is to use the tips provided on Metalink, or
wait for the statement to be processed. Saying that, I "HAD" to do it once
on a development database, where we had to drop a tablespace with huge
number of free extents, and no used ones. We stopped SMON from coalescing
by setting an event, deleted the rows from fet$, added one row for the
entire tablespace, and then dropped it. We did have some trivial problem
later, while recreating  the tablespace. I cant seem to remember what it
was.

Having said all that, I would like to add a disclaimer ;-)

I do not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of this
information. In no event, will I be liable for any damages, direct or
indirect, losses, expenses, or outages, or system failure. If you are brave
and helpless enough, to do the things I did, it's at your own risk.  ;-)

Raj

                    "Daemen, Remco"

                    <Remco.Daemen@we        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    rklinq.nl>              cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     Not able to drop table

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    January 31, 2002

                    10:35 AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Hi,

I'm stuck with a table I can't drop and can't update. Select works fine,
status is valid and the name appears in dba_tables and dba_objects. I
seem to remember someone posting a solution to this problem some time
ago, but can't find it. Something like manually adding a record in a
dictionary table, and then dropping the table. Anyone remember the name
of that table ? Or some other solution ?

Regards,  Remco
Author: Daemen, Remco