From: Bjørn Engsig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 05 February 20021 2:25
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: OPS DBA work (was dumb question)

With the caveat, that I am a consultant and not actually a DBA, I would argue very strongly, that the OPS DBA needs quite some extra understanding, knowledge and experience compared to one managing a single instance Oracle.  In particular:

- Performance problems, primarily due to poor application design/development, that are seen in single instance are likely to be one to two orders of magnitude worse in OPS.  Hence, the DBA needs a much better application understanding.

- There are Oracle features (e.g. free list groups) that must be used with OPS and which rarely are needed single instance.

- Recovery scenarios are more complex

- You must use raw devices (except on platforms with inhertance from Digital Corp), which can add complexity

- A frequent requirement of OPS systems is better uptimes than for single instance, which is a very non-trivial task.  The whole stack is far more complex, and even though the possibility to have two or more independent nodes sound really great in theory, the practical assurance, that they are in fact completely independent is difficult.  And if they aren't independent, they are likely to have worse uptimes than the single instance!

 - And I probably forgot something, so it is far more than knowing the GC_ parameters, which, BTW, by itself isn't that simple!

- Also, BTW, note that except for a few things, RAC doesn't make your life easier than OPS!

Thanks, Bjørn.

Shreeni wrote:

Hi John,

Thx for the input. I really appreciate it. I was just kind of stumped when I was asked not once but several times and places, to point out the diff between an OPS DBA and a "regular" DBA that I am.

Thanks again

Shreeni
Shreenivasa Rao
e-Z ing
Technologies, Inc..
41-43 Beekman Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10038.
Tel: (212)233-9861 xt.241
Fax: (212)233-9862
Cell:(917)861-4966
lsama@e-zingtech.com
******Your IT Solutions Provider********
*** ***
http://www.e-zingtech.com
*******
Under Bill s.1618 Title III passed by the 105th U.S. Congress this mail can
not be considered spam as long as we include contact information and a remove link for removal from our mailing list. To be removed from our mailing list reply with remove in the subject heading and your email address in the body. Include complete address and/or domain to be removed.