Actually, the heartbeat has been the biggest pain in the but of
ServiceGuard.  Its caused 99.99% of the failures.  Granted once
it was a failed network card.  All in all though, I have been pretty
happy with ServiceGuard.  And ours is dedicated and protected:-)

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 6:00 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Rama,

    We did the MC/ServiceGuard thing some years ago.  Worked well, after our
SA
rebuilt the servers from ground 0.  Adding it on to an existing server is
ok,
but somewhat unstable.  One item to be VERY careful of.  The heartbeat
cable, in
our case a ethernet thin line, needs to be on a dedicated link, preferably a
purchased vs. custom made cable, and protected from accidental disconnect.
Ours
got disconnected by a contractor working in the computer room because "it
was in
his way".  The resulting reboot of the backup server and forcible takeover
of
the disk farm absolutely destroyed the database.  We had more file
corruption
than I ever could have imagined.  Consequently we abandoned ServiceGuard &
are
going to standby databases instead.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Rama Malladi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:       2/6/2002 5:23 PM

Hi...
 I am looking for inputs from anybody who has experience in both
MC/Serviceguard (MC/S) as well as Sun cluster implementation. If a DBA/SA
team has lots of experience in implementing MC/Serviceguard clusters on HP
and trying to move to SunClusters for HA solution ...

a) What are the common things between MC/S and and Sun clusters (ex: about 5
minute fail-over time, fixed IP address, 2 or more nodes in a cluster, disk
sharing etc..)

b) Any differences between these... What are the things to watch out for
(assuming the team already knows in and out of  MC/Serviceguard)

Thank you in advance...
Rama

Author: Rama Malladi

Author: Kimberly Smith