                From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Tuesday, February 19, 2002 2:13 PM
                To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                Subject:        Re: Disable certain users from login to
database while applying Human

                As you are talking of Oracle Apps, NONE of the suggested
solutions :
                1.  Database ON LOGON Trigger
                2.  Lock Database Account
                3.  Change Database Account Password
                4.  Startup Database in Restricted mode
                would work.

                The users connect to the Database in the APPS schema -- this
is the
                "universal"
                schema that Oracle Apps uses.  The Patch requires APPS so
Restricted
                doesn't
                help (unless you grant Restricted to APPS in which case all
the users can
                logon).
                Ditto about locking, changing password or writing a trigger
on the APPS
                schema.

                What you can do are :
                1. Shutdown the Apache server for the Self-Service Modules
                2. Shutdown the Forms server for the Forms Module
                3. Shutdown the Concurrent Managers.

                All of the above would affect ALL users.

                Alternatively, login to the Application as the System
Administrator user
                and
                change the Application User Passwords for the users whom you
want disabled.
                Change the passwords back to a default (WELCOME) later.

                However, what you SHOULD do, per Oracle Support, is 1.
Shutdown 2. Shutdown
                3. Shutdown
                as I have listed above.
                If you are familiar with Oracle Applications Patching and
are comfortable
                with reading
                the Patch drivers, you can figure out what database objects
are being
                modified/updated/created
                and what Forms/Reports/HTML etc files are being
modified/created by the
                patch.
                Then you can take an intelligent decision .... should you
allow users to
                logon when
                applying the patch ?

                Hemant K Chitale
                Principal DBA
                Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd

                "CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
18/02/2002 03:28 PM
                Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                Please respond to ORACLE-L