db_block_buffers = 360448
db_block_lru_latches = 4
db_block_size = 8192

_db_block_hash_buckets = 720896

Ok, what I have so far is:

- using itrprof, I saw that 35% of my elapsed time was based on waits of
  "cache buffers chains" latches.
- checking v$latch_children (latch#=66), there are a good number (8-10
  I'd guess) of the 4096 children that have a very high (10k+) number
  of sleeps - the rest of the children (of this type latch) have sleep
  counts are 10-12, so we have a ton of contention on a low # of "cache
  buffers chains" latches.
- joining with x$bh (v$latch_children.addr=x$bh.hladdr), I see that
  the most contentioned-for of these latches (51,240 sleeps!) has 66
  blocks on the chain.  Checking with all_objects, I'm noticing that these
  blocks are scattered in some of the more important (and most-accessed)
  tables and indexes
- The other latch children that have high sleep counts also have 30-50
  buffers in their chains

Questions:

- to me, 66 seems awfully high - is it?
- the sleep count is obviously high from what I can tell - is it
  definitely tied to the buffer chain this latch is protecting being
  so long and just happening to be 66 buffers that are mostly important
  tables and indexes?
- I haven't set it by hand, but _db_block_hash_buckets = 720896
  and this is 11 * 2^16.  Everything I've read says it should be
  a prime number (and that jives with my comp sci background) - why
  is it not prime, why is it exactly twice db_block_buffers?
- the number of children for "cache buffers chains" is 4096.  Now,
  increasing that could have a positive effect on distributing the
  contention, but since the sleps are so heavily skewed to only a few
  of the children as it stands, I don't get the feeling that's the
  right fix.

Anyone have any advice to offer?  Pages/URL's that can help give some
advice?

It's worth noting that these latches are basically non-existant as
wait events at low load - "log file sync" is about the only wait
event I see at low loads, and I'm working on reducing my commit
counts much further to help tackle that.

Thanks!!

James
--
James Manning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4
Author: James Manning