-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 4:58 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Not using the RBS tablespace as the tablespace of discussion because it
has special requirements and can create a lot of discussion.
 I can fore see a reason for using multiple datafiles in a tablespace.
Lets say that you have a large table than contains information based on
dates. you load the table with data each year and at the years end you
resize the datafile to eliminate the unused space. Then you create
another datafile for the tablespace to use for the next years data and
load the data for the new year. The new data is still part of the same
table and tablespace but in a separate datafile. It could be a method of
creating partitions when you can't afford the option or it is not
available to you (pre 8). Then you would eliminate some of the
bottlenecks with the IO to the drives if the datafiles are on different
drives. The users would see an improvement in response time if the were
querying different date based data.
Also the multiple datafile concept could be used during the
backup/restore process. The user could have limits to the max tape size
available but still want to backup the database. I know that it could
take a lot of tapes to backup a 70GIG database when your tape machine
has a 2GIG limit on the tape capacity. They do still exist.
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/04/02 09:28PM >>>
no reason. I can see creating multiple files under those conditions
only because you want to keep files to a specific size.

Now, I did once find that the rollback datafiles were a bottleneck on
system I had. So we built TWO rollback tablespaces, with datafiles on
different mount points etc and the rollback segments divided between
the two tablespaces.

cleared up that bottleneck like a dream

other than that though.. why?

http://sports.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael

also send the H
ELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Ron Rogers

Author: Kimberly Smith