Hi Jeremiah and list,

> Since people with undersized logfiles will come out on top, how about
> comparing current SCNs instead?

Nice catch, but when distributed databases are involved, the following
applies:

Internal Operations Each committed transaction has an associated system
change
number (SCN) to uniquely identify the changes made by the statements within
that
transaction. In a distributed database, the SCNs of communicating nodes are
coordinated when:
* A connection is established using the path described by one or more
database
links
* A distributed SQL statement is executed
* A distributed transaction is committed
Among other benefits, the coordination of SCNs among the nodes of a
distributed
database system allows global distributed read-consistency at both the
statement
and transaction level. If necessary, global distributed time-based recovery
can also
be completed.

All databases in a 'distributed' (i.e. connected) environment will
co-ordinate with each other to bump up their SCNs to the highest value+
whenever a distributed SQL is involved. So, a large DSS type database that
has a relatively lesser number of queries/commits (and thus a lower SCN
rate) may have its SCN count bumped up by a short-query, active OLTP... Not
to mention parameters such as COMMIT_POINT_STRENGTH that could influence
this... The point is that this would probably not be a good measure of the
'activeness' of a database.

Btw, the v$database view will show this part of x$ktuxe. Be sure to set
numwidth to a larger value.

> Also longest time since last startup would be interesting to see.

Now this would be an interesting one!

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve
Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely
available!

** The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
employer or clients **
Author: John Kanagaraj