-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 4:59 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
NOARCHIVELO

Connor - Good points, but obviously there are exceptions. We have a data
warehouse that we keep in NOARCHIVELOG mode. After the weekly load we do a
cold backup. However, lately there has been talk of some updates during the
week, so that may have to change.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 3:28 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
NOARCHIVELO

Just to add to the controversy, I often make the
argument to developers/users/managers/etc that
noarchivelog does not exist.

In my opinion, 'noarchivelog' is like waving a flag
saying "I stand an excellent chance of losing a whole
lot of data one day".

Some years ago at a place I worked, some idiot came up
with some piece of nonsense along the lines of "We
don't make any changes, we do a cold backup each
night, and we can easily reapply the flat files that
are sqlldr'd into the db each morning"... and thus
went for a noarchivelog strategy.

When it did go belly up, this "simple" option turned
into a nightmarish exercise...

Even worse, the idiot happened to be me at the time
:-)

 --- "Freeman, Robert " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote: > I can read your question 2 ways, so let me
answer it
> both ways...
>
> If you are asking if you can only do a cold backup
> when in noarchivelog
> mode, you are correct.
>
> However, in archivelog mode you can do cold or hot
> backup. The procedure is
> a bit different in archivelog mode, because of the
> recovery implications of
> being in archivelog mode.
>
> RF
>
> Robert G. Freeman - Oracle8i OCP
> Oracle DBA Technical Lead
> CSX Midtier Database Administration
>
> The Cigarette Smoking Man: Anyone who can appease a
> man's conscience can
> take his freedom away from him.

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS

Author: Deshpande, Kirti