Hey all,

I know there are developers lurking out there as well as dba's that have a great deal of development experience that could help me to help our developers on this project.

We have an old application that is running on a VMS machine. The Oracle version there is 8.0.5.  Our development group is porting this to Unix (Tru64 5.1).  We are planning on deploying this with Oracle version 8.1.7.3 as the client.  The database in test is currently 8.1.7.3 and production will be upgraded to 8.1.7.3 soon.

The question I have is this:  The development VMS and Unix machines are comparably equipped, but application performance from the VMS machine is much better than from Unix.  There have been no changes to the application other than being recompiled in the new OS.  What can anyone tell me about changes that should/could be done to improve performance when moving from VMS (Oracle 8.0) to Unix (Oracle 8.1)?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Stephen Andert