I agree.

I think that some people don't understand OFA's intentions.  First of
all, it _is_ a standard, meant to provide great flexibility.

The reason mount points are to be named in a generic fashion is to
allow any type of file to reside on them.  Any number of file types can
happily coexist under their own appropriately named subdirectories.

Under OFA, database files can be easily identified by "ls
/u???/oradata/$ORACLE_SID"; the file name ought to include the name of
the tablespace to which the file belongs.

Richard's point about a file that gets misnamed is well-taken.  The
only identification of datafiles that matters is the data dictionary.
Rely on anything else and you're asking for trouble.

Thanks to all for their comments.

--- "Freeman, Robert " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It sounds to me that whoever architected this approach really didn't
> understand
> the idea of "metadata" and the flexibility that OFA provides in terms
> of
> tuning
> (I'm not limited to specific disks because I have "customer data")
> and
> performance.
>
> My 2 cents...

=====
Paul Baumgartel, Adept Computer Associates, Inc.

http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
Author: Paul Baumgartel