Gene,
HA means High Avalability.

>>HA is a DB Server waiting to become the prod DB via
>> shared storage,

Not really. You can implement HA by any means as long
as you ensure you have "High Availability". IMHO
standby is also something that is waiting to be
activated and "to become prod server". Actually
standby is normally a better HA because shared disks
would not protect you from disks "going south".

The point under discussion here, since you have missed
it, is whether standby could be considered oracle
"running" on standby host. ORACLE reps went on record
saying that you con not since the oracle "running" on
other server is in managed recovery mode.

HTH
Cheers,
RS

http://taxes.yahoo.com/