Whilst not recommending export/import as the method,
I've sometimes created a migration planned that
inferred "unload-then-reload" and then post migration
used the extra time for moving objects around for io
balancing, converting to lmt's, rebuilding indexes et
al.

Sometimes downtime is hard to come by, and lying
through your teeth that the upgrade will take 10 hours
is sometimes a good way to get it :-)

Cheers
Connor

 --- Jeremiah Wilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Browett, Darren wrote:

> > The previous DBA, also used the export/import
> method, and is the method
> > I am most likely going to use.
>
> Can someone explain why anyone would opt for
> export/import as a path
> to do an 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade?  Doesn't the basic
> upgrade just consist
> of starting the instance on the new ORACLE_HOME and
> running an upgrade
> script?  Why would someone undergo the disruption
> and complexity of a
> full export/import when you can just leave the data
> where it is?
>
> --
> Jeremiah Wilton
> http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton
>
> > Create the new ORACLE_HOME (8.1.7)
> > Patch to rev desired (8.1.7.2 or 8.1.7.3)
> > Export from 8.0.5
> > Import to 8.1.7.x
> > Upgrade application.
> > Test like crazy.

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=