I can't answer the question about the performance
after deleting the statistics because we have a
contract DBA here that insists it's okay to analyze
the internal schemas even though he's the one that
acknowledges the performance problem if the stats get
a little stale! Unfortunately, he always gets his way,
right or wrong...<sigh>...