Hi Ken,

When you run the database configuration assistant (DBCA) it asks you to
provide the sid for the database.  You should be able to see the service
associated with this database by looking at the "services".  Don't know ANY
XP but the service should be named "OracleServiceSID".  Check to make
sure that this service is started.  If not you will have to start this service before
you can connect.  Assuming that it is started you can connect from a dos
window by typing

set oracle_sid="yoursid"
sqlplus system/manager

from here you should be able to query the dd tables.

John

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
9i on XP Prof. on DELL PC (no network)

I tried to use DBCA to create a DB on my PC. I have never used this tool before.  It appeared to run OK with no errors.  However, when I query the V$ views I don't see it and I cannot connect to it.  I ran DBCA twice to create the DB and the second time I didn't get any error message saying the DB already existed.  I don't know that I should since I have never used DBCA before.

If there is anyone out there that have used this tool before please give me some insight into it.

Thanks and have a good day,

Ken Janusz, CPIM