Just tested this on 8.1.7.0.

alter rollback segment rbs0 storage(optimal null);

Rob Pegram
Oracle Certified DBA

------------------------------------

SQL> select segment_name, optsize
  2  from dba_rollback_segs, v$rollstat
  3  where usn=segment_id;

SEGMENT_NAME                      OPTSIZE
------------------------------ ----------
SYSTEM
RBS0                              4194304
RBS1                              4194304
RBS2                              4194304
RBS3                              4194304
RBS4                              4194304
RBS5                              4194304
RBS6                              4194304

8 rows selected.

SQL> alter rollback segment rbs0 storage(optimal
null);

Rollback segment altered.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> We are getting the following error in our alert log
> for a database where we
> are doing some unusually large transactions:
>
> Wed May 15 03:26:22 2002
> Failure to extend rollback segment 27 because of
> 1581 condition
> FULL status of rollback segment 27 set.
>

> On Metalink I've found a couple of references to bug
> 228441.   Following is
> one such reference.   Sounds like one part of the
> work-around is to unset
> OPTIMAL which we do currently have set.   I've
> looked through the docs and
> Metalink.   I do see text for altering the OPTIMAL
> value but I don't see
> any reference to "unsetting" OPTIMAL.   Is there a
> way to unset optimal in
> rollback segments that are currently online?   Or do
> I have to create a
> bunch of new rollback segments from scratch without
> OPTIMAL specified and
> then roll them in and roll out the existing rollback
> segments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cherie Machler
> Oracle DBA
> Gelco Information Network
>

>             From: Oracle, Tom Villane
>
>             21-Sep-01 21:20
>
>             Subject: Re : ORA-01581, but
>
>             seem to have more than enough
>
>             space
>

>             Hi,
>

>             The ORA-01581 is not normally
>
>             seen in Oracle8. Bug 228441 has
>
>             an explanation of why it can
>
>             happen.
>
>             "This can happen when we are
>
>             trying to extend a rollback
>
>             segment. We try to extend the
>
>             rollback segment when we cannot
>
>             wrap into the next extent and
>
>             we are near the end of the
>
>             current extent. When we try to
>
>             allocate the new extent we
>
>             generate undo, in addition,
>
>             space management may generate
>
>             undo to do a coalesce. If the
>
>             amount of undo we generate
>
>             cannot fit in the current
>
>             extent we will get a 1581 as we
>
>             are now trying to use the
>
>             extent that we are trying to
>
>             add."
>

>             Suggestions for resolving the
>
>             problems are to make the
>
>             INITIAL EXTENTS a large number
>
>             ( maybe even set minextents =
>
>             maxextents), and unset OPTIMAL
>

>             Regards
>
>             Tom Villane
>
>             Oracle Support Metalink Analyst
>

> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com