-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 1:28 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Kathy,

> We are using Veritas Quick IO on our Solaris Box 6500 with
> Oracle Apps 11.5.6 on 8.1.7.2 database.
>
> Right now we do not have the temp files converted to quick io
> and wonder if we should.  The guy who installed Quick IO
> didn't seen to think we could but he was a pretty junior person.

In addition to the many execllent and right answers that have been given,
make sure that a DBBS (DataBase Baby Sitter) doesn't inadvertly extend a
Database file via RESIZE or (horrors!) enable AUTOEXTEND on any QIO based
datafile! You will have to use the qiomkfile with the -e (extend by the
delta) or the -r (resize to this value) options to extend/resize a datafile
prior to this RESIZE action. Effectively, AUTOEXTEND cannot be used :(

A question to the others using QIO:

* Has anyone measured the performance improvement brought about by using QIO
for Oracle? (I have already read the Oracle report that compares QIO and
Raw: The report concluded that they are both the same as far as perf goes. I
am interested in plain vs qio, but don't want to start another raw vs plain
war :)
* I assume that DISK_ASYNC_IO was allowed to default to TRUE (on Solaris).
In this case, I assume that you would track the wait times for the 'direct
path read' and 'direct path write'?
* I assume you have put in place procedures to make sure that a file is NOT
resized via ALTER DATABASE without a qio resize. The question is: Do you
have any way of checking that there has NOT been such a resize? The manual
suggests that you pre-allocate the filesize and take it up (via
DATABASE/RESIZE) as it grows, but thats as good (bad!) as actually resizing
it right in the beginning!
* Is anyone using 'Cached Quick I/O'? Any gotchas?

One question leading to another here, but I hope we can all learn from this
:)

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

The manuals for Oracle are here: http://tahiti.oracle.com
The manual for Life is here: http://www.gospelcom.net

** The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
employer or clients **
Author: John Kanagaraj

Confidential
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property
of Belkin Components and/or its affiliates, are confidential,
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom this e-mail is addressed.  If you are not one
of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to believe
that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender and delete this message immediately from your computer.
Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing
or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Author: Kathy Duret