Sandeep Kurliye wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry, if this sounds bit awkward or unrelated to this mailing list.
>
> Can any one of you please let me know whether there is any tool available to
>identify junk code in an application. My applications are written in Oracle Forms and
>VB. Backend is Oracle.
>
> I am in the process of tuning these applications. I can see lots of poorly written
>SQLs. These can be tuned from backend as well as changing SQLs in forms.  But what
>about poorly written logic?
>
> As such, I am going thr' each and every line of code and tuning it wherever
>necessary, but plenty of time will require to complete this process. If there is any
>tool available which identify the problem, then I've to directly go to the
>application/code and modify it.
>
> If I've to rewrite whole application, then its massive task.
>
> Please help.
>
> TIA,
>
> Regards,
> Sandeep.

Sandeep,

   Glad to see somebody worrying about logic. But it's a mountain to
climb. IMHO, try to concentrate on 'problem' code - check V$SQLAREA at
regular intervals to see the top 'buffer_gets' queries, you do not only
have individual queries, you will also see (command_type = 47) stored
PL/SQL procedures, and they may point you to bad logic; listen to users
to. Fortunately there is a lot of terrible code that nobody really
worries about.
The first thing I would do in your case would be to put calls to
dbms_application_info everywhere, setting 'module' and 'action' to
identify 'atomic business processes' (if such a thing exists), then use
coffee-machine information and a bit of monitoring to check what really
hurts and concentrate on that. Otherwise you risk spending a lot of time
on improvements that nobody will ever notice.

--
HTH,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software