April,

The "Restarting dead background process EMN0" message
immediately prior to a shutdown is an annoying, but
harmless message.  The EMN0 process is not started
unless AQ is used and even then it will be killed if
it sits idle long enough.  Upon shutdown, however, it
can get awakened to ensure that it processes any
existing messages, if any, and thus this message is
written to the alert.log.

Do you have any shutdown triggers that could be
preventing the db from shutting down cleanly?  The
best thing to do to get to the root of the hang is to
take several system state dumps (at least 3, 1 - 2
minutes apart) while the system appears to be hanging.

Connected as internal or a SYSDBA user:
ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS 'IMMEDIATE TRACE NAME
SYSTEMSTATE LEVEL 10';

System state dumps can be rather large so you may want
to ensure that max_dump_file_size is set very high or
change it before generating the system state dump:
ALTER SESSION SET MAX_DUMP_FILE_SIZE=UNLIMITED;

Oracle Support should be able to determine from them
why the shutdown appears to be hanging.

HTH,

-- Anita

--- April Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone experienced problems with Database
> hanging on shutdown and the
> only error anywhere is "Restarting dead background
> process EMN0 " and that
> appears consistently before the inability to stop
> the database.
>
> I have created an Itar (which was down graded
> immediately...) and hunted for
> answers on metalink.  There are two 'solutions' that
> they suggest.  One is
> to ignore it... if you aren't using Advanced Queuing
> you don't have to worry
> anyway... the other is every time you shut down do
> shutdown abort-startup
> restricted- shutdown immediate... this will kill all
> the process (of which
> at the os level and the DB level the only ones
> running were Oracle generated
> processes...
> oratest 36146 1 0 05:59:02 - 0:07 ora_qmn0_TEST
> oratest 36384 1 0 05:59:02 - 0:01 ora_smon_TEST
> oratest 36640 1 0 05:59:02 - 0:01 ora_ckpt_TEST
> oratest 37156 1 0 05:59:02 - 0:00 ora_dbw0_TEST
> oratest 37416 1 0 05:59:02 - 0:00 ora_pmon_TEST
> oratest 37672 1 0 05:59:02 - 0:00 ora_lgwr_TEST
> oratest 41404 1 0 05:59:02 - 0:00 ora_reco_TEST
> )
>
> Has anyone dealt with this successfully?  It deals,
> from what I have
> gathered, with Java in the database (maybe?).
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice
>
> April Wells
> Corporate Systems
> Amarillo Texas
>
> begin 666 InterScan_Disclaimer.txt

M5&AE(&EN9F]R;6%T:6]N(&-O;G1A:6YE9"!I;B!T:&ES(&4M;6%I;"!I<R!S

M=')I8W1L>2!C;VYF:61E;G1I86P@86YD(&9O<B!T:&4@:6YT96YD960@=7-E

M(&]F('1H92!A9&1R97-S964@;VYL>3L@:70@;6%Y(&%L<V\@8F4@;&5G86QL

M:7,@:&5R96)Y(&=I=F5N('1H870@86YY(&1I<V-L;W-U<F4L('5S92!O<B!C

M;W!Y:6YG(&]F('1H92!I;F9O<FUA=&EO;B!B>2!A;GEO;F4@;W1H97(@=&AA