Title: RE: Table Naming Conventions

My supervisor/client wants object types in names - except tables like I_ for indexes.  Why do you say stay away from this?

-----Original Message-----
From: Cary Millsap [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 5:10 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Table Naming Conventions

Here's a start. Not a checklist by any means, just kind of a micro pet
peeves list.

* Decide today whether table names will be singular or plural. Do you
want a THING (singular) table? Or a THINGS (plural) table?

* Don't use case-sensitive names. E.g., use THING (without quotes) in
your CREATE (DDL) statement, which can be spelled "THING", "thing",
"Thing", or even "tHiNG" in your developers' SQL. But don't make
developers type stuff like this...

    select "Name" from "Thing" where "Id" = y  /* won't work without ""
*/

* Don't embed the object type in the object's name. I used to see this
all the time with tablespaces called XYZ_TS, indexes called IND_THING,
and so on.

* Decide today whether you want to abbreviate or not. If you do, then
construct a formal, standard, consistent list of accepted abbreviations.
Don't name one table CUSTOMER_THING and another CUST_HISTORY.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- NCOAUG Training Day, Aug 16 Chicago
- Miracle Database Forum, Sep 20-22 Middlefart Denmark
- 2003 Hotsos Symposium on OracleR System Performance, Feb 9-12 Dallas