Any plans for Oracle upgrade? :)

Waleed

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 3:17 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Rich,

Thanks for reply and your explanation. For ver 7.3.4 dba_free_space specify
large extent available but when using initial extent of around that size ,
it never creates initial extent of that size and generate error so I am not
relying it and instead using this query. However I am not using any
partitioning as 7.3.4 don't have this option....

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:50:59 -0800

Hi Rafiq,

Right, PARALLEL does do that, which is why I had stated in the original post
that I had tried the CREATE without PARALLEL after coalescing the TS.

In the meantime, I have figured out what the problem is.  My problem is on a
test system.  This test system's "MYCOOLTBL" happens to be partitioned and
the index was being created "LOCAL".  So, with 4 partitions, the CREATE
needed 4 extents of 140MB each.  Thus, a single 140MB free extent wasn't
enough.  Once I "fixed" the partitioned table, the index created fine in
140MB.

Your query, however, still only returns a max value of 36MB, which is not
true for me.  After quickly looking thru your query, I'd say it has to do
with going after "max(block_id)" in the subquery.  The maximum block_id for
freespace in this TS probably points to a 36MB extent, but it is not the
largest free extent.  Use DBA_FREE_SPACE.  :)

Thanks!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich

Author: Mohammad Rafiq

Author: Khedr, Waleed