database 8.1.7.3

Has anyone run into and knows a work around for utl file limitations.

Specifically, we have many directories we need to write to over 512 bytes but the problem is if we need to run a session trace , we can only have 256 bytes and the directory that the trace file goes to is the last one specified in the utl_file.

So currently we are having to change our utl_file, bounce the system, do our trace and set it back again and bounce again.  Which to me is unacceptable.

I understand there is a way to set up multiple utl_files, but I can't seem to find any info on it.  And would I be able to trace

I don't think it is possible for me to specify utl_file=/mymaindirectory/* in the init.ora and have files go into the subdirectories they need ot underneath.  You would think you would be able to since you can specify *.

Any takers on this one?

Kathy

Confidential
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property
of Belkin Components and/or its affiliates, are confidential,
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom this e-mail is addressed.  If you are not one
of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to believe
that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender and delete this message immediately from your computer.
Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing
or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.