So far we haven't found our problem in a testing environment it is 9201 on a
RAC cluster. We are having difficulty getting 6i reports server to run, but
no major problems.

Okay here is something I will be investigating ... something for you all to
think about. The query is something like this ...

select col_1, col_2, nvl(col_3,'X') col_3
  from table_a
union
select col_1, col_2, 'X' col_3
  from table_b
/

This is of course not the complete query but just to give you all an idea.
What happens is col_3 is actually defined as varchar2(2) in the database.
Sometimes the value for this column be null, single character or two
characters.

This is working fine in our 8161 database, oracle forms passes parameter to
a database packaged procedure which has this code. When we moved this to
9.2, the query started giving ORA-6502 errors. When removed col_3 from the
query, things were just fine.

Here is the catch, after playing with it for about 15 minutes, I changed the
nvl clause to "NVL(col_3, 'XX') col_3" thing worked as before, no errors.

What gives?? I will try to test this again, but has any of you encountered
this before? BTW yesterday I searched on Metalink for all bugs reported in
9.2.0.1 and fixed in 10.0.0.0, there were 7 bugs reported to be fixed in
10i. Some of them may be back ported, but isn't is good to know?

Raj
Rajendra Jamadagni              MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

This e-mail message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above
and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, or are
not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify corporate MIS at (860) 766-2000
and delete this e-mail message from your computer, Thank you.