Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 10:11 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dennis,
In my case Net8 connection is not feasible because I have both OS Windows
2000/ Linux on the same machine using dual boot. So the only option for me
is to export the required user from Windows database  and then import from
Linux database. But please note that I have source database Windows 2000/9i,
but the source database is Linux/8.1.6. Can this be any problem for
export/import.

Recently I copied a database from a Window machine to another window machine
by copying the database files, redo log file, control files etc to target
machine in the corresponding directory and just created a service on the
target machine by using oradim and it worked fine. Is that possible if you
want to move the database and other files of Windows OS database to a Linux
OS database and then use svrmgrl to do something similar to get windows
database working on Linux. I know for this to work, I need to recreate or
make changes to control file.

Thanks.