API - Application Programming Interface

An API is a series of functions that programs can use to make the operating system do their dirty work.  These are nice for functions that many programs may have to use so the programmers do not have to reinvent the code.

Dave
-----Original Message-----
From: KENNETH JANUSZ [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 12:08 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: What is an API?

I have read a lot about the term API.  I have searched the web and documentation and cannot find "API" is an abbreviation for? And, I cannot find a definition of what an API is?  If someone could help me on this I would appreciate it.  All the documentation I have assumes that the reader knows what an API is.

Thanks,
Ken Janusz, CPIM