Hi,

Can you please help me out in solving this weird problem of funcation-based index not being used when I query the table.
This is the comand I fired and the result it returned me.

1. SQL> create table employees  (last_name varchar2(20));
    Table created.

2. SQL> CREATE INDEX upper_ix ON employees (UPPER(last_name));
    Index created.

Made the autotrace on and than:-

3. SELECT last_name FROM employees WHERE UPPER(last_name) IS NOT NULL  ORDER BY UPPER(last_name);
    no rows selected.

Execution Plan
   0      SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE
   1    0   SORT (ORDER BY)
   2    1     TABLE ACCESS (FULL) OF 'EMPLOYEES'

I fired without order by clause also but no use.

Now can any body please let tell me why this Oracle is having a full scan of the employee table.

TIA,
Marul.