You can use the sqlplus parameter "LINESIZE" to specify the size of each line for output. I have used it in the past with lengths of 5000 and more, and it has worked, including spooling to files.

The only drawback in this case is that it "adjusts" each line to LINESIZE (adds spaces to the right where the length is less than that of the parameter LINESIZE), but you can get around with this by setting another sqlplus variable "TRIMSPOOL" to ON.

HTH,
Manav.

At 05:48 AM 9/4/2002 -0800, you wrote:

Remove all the dbms_output calls and use utl_file.  It should get around this error, and its not possible to get the below error with utl_file so you must have missed something when you tried it the first time.

HTH,
Beth
-----Original Message-----
From: Muthaiah, VSNL [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 6:48 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Any woraround for this ....?

Hi,

I'm writing a procedure/script for extract the data of all the tables in a schema. When I am trying to spool/write into a file, I am getting the following error.

ORA-20001: -20000ORA-20000: ORU-10028: line length overflow, limit of 255 bytes per line
ORA-06512: at "SCOTT.EXTRACT", line 115
ORA-06512: at line 1
First I tried to spool to a file.But got the error line length overflow. I have tried using the UTL_FILE option also. But getting the same error. Can anyone in the list has any work around for this?

Thanks in Advance,

Muths