I have not read the ANSI specifications, however the gist of "repeatable reads" is
that the query will return the same  data  each time it is issued by a transaction.
"Set transaction read only"
does provide this.  Your attention is invited to ...

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/901_doc/server.901/a88856/c21cnsis.htm#3374

There certainly could be nuances which prevent "set transaction read only" from
meeting the "repeatable read" specification.   There is also the question of setting
it globally vs. per transaction.  There is no way to set "repeatable read" globally in
Oracle.  I thought Oracle planned to or had removed the ability to set "serializable"
globally as well.

Does the read committed specification written to say that  committed blocks are always
readable or that dirty blocks are never read?  What about  a more sophisticated model.
 An update only locks the changed rows.  A read blocks any further changes and would
succeed if it didn't visit the changed rows.  I don't really want to go on building a
hypothetical system.  I thought at one time databases such as Sybase did have readers
blocking writers and vice versa, but I don't know the circumstances.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 9:49 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hi Ian,

> The purpose of the command "set transaction read only"  is to
> implement the  repeatable read isolation level.
Did you misspeak? As I understand it, the purpose of the set transaction
command is to set the isolation level of which there are 4 specified in the
ANSI spec and Oracle does not support the "repeatable read" isolation level
as of 8i. (As I understand it there are ambiguities in the ANSI spec and
efforts are underway to provide clarification with the anticipated result
that there will be even more granularity in isolations levels.)

> I thought MySQL, at least the earlier versions, had no concept of a
> transaction
You're right about the earlier versions but with current versions MySQL now
has a "table type" of "InnoDB" (as well as table types of ISAM and Berkeley
DB) and this supports transactions, referential integrity and row level
locking. Without this option MySQL transaction support is limited to full
table locks with no concept of rollbacks. With the InnoDB option MySQL is
now "ACID" compliant. Supposedly the Berkeley DB option supports
transactions but it's not a workable solution.

> If I block a query from even accessing an object which has gained,
> changed, or lost data until that data is committed, have I implemented
> the read committed isolation level.
Hmmm... by blocking access to an object altogether there is no reading at
all including read committed. Right?

Steve Orr