Hi,

'TRUE' is not a valid value for REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE.

Try:
REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE

See:http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76961/ch1155.htm#6449

for more details.....

-Mark

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 08:38, Chindarkar,Chetan wrote:
> Hi List ,
>
> I have Oracle 8.1.5 server on Win 2K machine.
>
> When I try to connect as SYSDBA using SYS account from a remote machine it
> says "ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied". Then I created a
> password file using ORAPWD utility and granted SYS and WIP (a newly created
> schema) the SYSDBA privilege. I also ensured that REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE
> is set to TRUE, but still I can not connect as SYSDBA.
>
> Following are the steps which I took.
>
> Step 1.  Created a password file as followed :
>
>       D:\Oracle\Ora815\BIN>cd ..\dbs
>       D:\Oracle\Ora815\DBS>orapwd file=orapwsb815 password=oracle8i
> entries=30
>
> Step 2.  Grant SYS user the SYSDBA privilege by the following method
>
>       D:\Oracle\Ora815\DBS>svrmgrl
>
>       Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.5.0.0 - Production
>
>       (c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.
>
>       Oracle8i Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
>       With the Java option
>       PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
>
>       SVRMGR> connect internal
>       Password:
>       Connected.
>       SVRMGR> grant SYSDBA to SYS;
>       Statement processed.
>
>       SVRMGR> select * from v$pwfile_users ;
>       USERNAME                       SYSDB SYSOP
>       ------------------------------ ----- -----
>       INTERNAL                       TRUE  TRUE
>       SYS                            TRUE  TRUE
>       2 rows selected.
>
> Pls help me if possible.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chetan
Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it
well."
                                                -- Rene Descartes
Author: Mark J. Bobak