Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 12:54 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hello all
   I am trying to debug a mysterious sporadic error that a Visual Basic
program using ADO is hitting. In reviewing the trace file, we see an odd
series of SQL statements. Before performing a 3 table join, a select * from
table is issued for each of the tables to be joined. The developer swears
ADO isn't doing this. I can't think Oracle would decide to spontaneously do
this. These are large tables so if it were really occurring, the
communications line would be tied up for a long time, but the developer is
able to get subsecond response. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

****

select *
from
 source_reference

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    current
rows
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
Parse       95      0.04       0.12          0          0          0
0
Execute      0      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
Fetch        0      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
total       95      0.04       0.12          0          0          0
0

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: 18
****

select *
from
 account_master

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    current
rows
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
Parse       95      0.05       0.10          0          0          0
0
Execute      0      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
Fetch        0      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
---------
total       95      0.05       0.10          0          0          0
0

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: 18
****

select *
from
 school_demographics

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    current
rows
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
Parse       95      0.13       0.07          0          0          0
0
Execute      0      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
Fetch        0      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
total       95      0.13       0.07          0          0          0
0

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: 18
****

select *
from
 source_reference sr, account_master am, school_demographics sd where am.lid
  >= 1 and am.lid <= 100and am.lid=sr.lid and am.lid=sd.lid order by am.lid
  asc, sr.source_num asc

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    current
rows
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
Parse        1      0.03       0.03          0          0          0
0
Execute      1      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
Fetch        8      0.03       0.07          7         27          0
100
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
total       10      0.06       0.10          7         27          0
100

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: 18

Rows     Row Source Operation
-------  ---------------------------------------------------
    100  SORT ORDER BY
    100   HASH JOIN
    100    TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID SCHOOL_DEMOGRAPHICS
    101     INDEX RANGE SCAN (object id 3290)
    100    HASH JOIN
    100     TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID SOURCE_REFERENCE
    101      INDEX RANGE SCAN (object id 3294)
    100     TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID ACCOUNT_MASTER
    101      INDEX RANGE SCAN (object id 3214)

***
Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS