I've found the thread on DBA workload valuable and interesting. It endorses
points made repeatedly over the past years, basically the highly variable
nature of the job.

This variability is giving us a small problem. Our dba work (shared between
two of us) tends to function in the background, and of course because we do
it so damn well (!!), our impact on the running of the organisation is
pretty low. Kind of 'reverse exception' effect, if you will.

There is now a desire to formalise the role of the dba function within the
organisation, and nobody has the first idea of how to define, in an
organisational / structural sense just how the dba role slots in. I'm
talking about organsiational charts, herarchies etc, that sort of thing. Not
just across the org, but particularly within the IT domain too.
Specifically, dba impacts from the low-level hardware side, right up to
application development, with everything in between. And that already spans
several existing lines of management responsibility. Our problem has added
spice as we are (trying) to operate a matrix management system, which
repeatedly throws up intriguing political dimensions.

Anybody ever been down this particular route?

Any thoughts much appreciated,

peter
edinburgh

This  e-mail   message,  and  any  files  transmitted   with  it, are
confidential  and intended  solely for the  use of the  addressee. If
this message was not addressed to  you, you have received it in error
and any  copying,  distribution  or  other use  of any part  of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not  necessarily represent  those of the British
Geological  Survey. The  security of e-mail  communication  cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS  accepts no liability  for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the
BGS. The BGS cannot accept any responsibility  for viruses, so please
scan all attachments.                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk

Author: Robson, Peter