Tim, TAF still requires the application to be
programmed with Oracle8 OCI and greater. TAF is a
combination of OCI and net services to allow the
failover to occur. This requirement is still
documented in the Oracle9i R2 manuals.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/rac.920/a96597/pshavdtl.htm#20180

Scott

--- Tim Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hemant,
>
> TAF was specific to OCI only in v8.0 of the
> database.  In v8.1 and upwards, it is specified
for
> any application or API in the TNSNAMES entry...
>
> This example comes straight out of the
"Oracle Net8
> Administration" manual, page 8-14.  I'd
suggest
> reading up on the meaning of the FAILOVER_MODE
> settings, specifically TYPE= and METHOD=.  Also,
if
> you have your OPS/RAC instances in a pure
> "active/passive" arrangement, then the
TNS entry
> below should work (i.e. LOAD_BALANCE=OFF).  If
you
> have both instances equally available for user
> connections (i.e. "active/active"
failover
> arrangement), then you might consider changing
> LOAD_BALANCE=ON to distribute the connections
> randomly.  However, you'll want to think
carefully
> about using that mechanism...  :-)
>
>   sales.us.acme.com=
>       (description=
>           (load_balance=off)
>           (failover=on)
>           (address_list=
>               (address=
>                   (protocol=tcp)
>                   (host=sales1-server)
>                   (port=1521)
>               )
>               (address=
>                   (protocol=tcp)
>                   (host=sales2-server)
>                   (port=1521)
>               )
>           )
>           (connect_data=
>               (service_name = sales.us.acme.com)
>               (failover_mode =
> (type=select)(method=basic))
>           )
>       )
> Hope this helps...
>
> -Tim

ORACLE-L"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 10:13 AM
>

> > Can anyone send me sample Pro*C code
depicting how
> > they've handled TAF in 8iOPS or 9iRAC ?
> >
> > We've got some application servers running
Pro*C
> programs
> > which don't seem to able to handle failover.
> SQLPlus sessions
> > are failing over to the remaining instance
but the
> Pro*C programs
> > seem to be "hanging", without
returning any error,
> when
> > a transaction is "in-flight"  We do
know that
> Insert/Update/Deletes
> > do not really failover but are wondering how
the
> Pro*C programs
> > could be written to handle the oracle error
on

http://hkchital.tripod.com

> > --
> > Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> > --
> > Author: Hemant K Chitale
> >   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
> http://www.fatcity.com
and
> web hosting services

send an
> E-Mail message
> > to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT
spelling of
> 'ListGuru') and in
> > the message BODY, include a line containing:
UNSUB
> ORACLE-L
> > (or the name of mailing list you want to be
> removed from).  You may
> > also send the HELP command for other
information

http://sbc.yahoo.com