Stanford Linear Accelerator Center

Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 3:03 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

There's always some idiot who wants to rain on the
parade, so it may as well be me.  I can't remember the
specifics but a recent test in London showed that
people on (hands-free) phones in their cars were 'x'%
more likely to crash ('x' was somewhere like 50%!),
the test being designed to show that its not the phone
in your hand, its the fact that you're
talking/listening that ends up killing you...

I can't begin to imagine the traffic carnage when the
CD "DBA101: The sensual sultry sounds of Carmichael"
hits the charts!

Does Rachel really want that kind of responsbility :-)

Cheers
Connor

 --- Rachel Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's a little difficult to see how code samples and
> illustrations
> (which I find invaluable) could be translated to
> audio....
>
> It's technically copyright infringement (I believe)
> to translate the
> books. I don't own the copyright, so I'm not about
> to call out the
> lawyers. I am supposed to contact my publisher for
> permission (never
> been refused, as it's publicity) when I want to use
> part of a chapter
> for an article or presentation.
>
> Besides, I have problems concentrating when I listen
> to books on tape,
> so I'm not the best person to advocate this!
>

> --- Joe Testa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would think the authors should read and publish
> the books in .mp3
> > format, you can get like 10 hours worth on one cd.
> >
> > Rachel how about you start,
> >
> > bwahahahahahahaha
> >

> > joe
> >

> > DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
> >
> > >I have an odd question about these on-line books.
> Can I
> > copy-and-paste the
> > >text?
> > >   Like many of you, I seem to end up with long
> commutes (why are
> > the best
> > >jobs never in your neighborhood?). I find
> listening to books on CD
> > to be a
> > >better use of time than reading bumper stickers.
> Nobody ever seems
> > to issue
> > >Oracle books on audio. So I got a text-to-voice
> program, and it
> > works pretty
> > >good to create an audio version of a book. But
> many of these eBooks
> > >zealously protect their text and prevent you from
> doing
> > copy-and-paste on
> > >the text. Fortunately Oracle makes their books
> readily available.
> > Any ideas
> > >are welcome. And my apologies to the authors on
> the list that are
> > going "he
> > >wants to do WHAT with my book!!".
> > >Dennis Williams
> > >DBA
> > >Lifetouch, Inc.
> > >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
http://www.oaktable.net

"Remember amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.