nope its unix(solaris flavor).

thanks for the idea, thats probably what I'll do versus trying to setup data guard on the nodes.

joe

Rachel Carmichael wrote:

Windows?

I used to do this with a 7.3.4 instance on Unix, I had a shell script
that would run every x minutes, and would first check to see it if was
already running. If not, it would do the recover automatic. It would
"fail" when it ran out of archived logs to apply, but the cron would
restart it and check for more.

Worked pretty well..

Rachel
--- Joe Testa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm back on 8i for a different client who wants to implement standby database.

other than the whole possibility of losing data during a failover,
i've not been able to find anything about doing managed recovery with out having a dedicated session to put the database in managed recovery
mode.

SQL> recover managed standby database;

this does not fork into the background but is a foreground process,
that ties that window up as it receives and applies logs, that is correct right?
Its not until 9i where we get the luxury of managed recovery being a background proces, right?

thanks, joe

Author: Joe Testa

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Author: Joe Testa