Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 12:09 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hi,

I'm trying to incorporate a procedure in a package that needs to run using a
dblink name supplied at runtime.  The dblink is used in the dml inside the
procedure, but when I compile the package I get "ORA-00942 table or view
does not exist" for all the sql referencing the dblink.

Here is a code snippet:

PROCEDURE CREATE_WC_OVER_DBLINK (
        DBLINK VARCHAR2)

v_dblink VARCHAR2(100) := dblink;

BEGIN

INSERT INTO mm_product_temp (rec, rec_old, name, is_disabled,
is_workingcopy)
(SELECT mm_product_seq.nextval, rec, name, is_disabled, is_workingcopy
FROM mm_product@v_dblink
WHERE last_update IS null);

END;
/

The ORA-00942 shows up for the line with the INSERT statement.

Looking for ideas as to how to do this.  I saw a MetaLink forum posting
indicating that the way to do this is to create a refcursor, then use a
function to return the supplied sql to the refcursor, then open the
refcursor, etc. etc.

Is this the only way to do it?

thanks

bill