The whole point is a bit moot now that Alpha is a dead platform.

Compaq sold the Alpha technology to Intel.  As far as HP's continued support
for Alpha, consider that HP is in a VERY competitive business; Unix makes up
only a small part of its bottom line; and it is currently sitting on three
Unix platforms: The old HP/UX boxes; the (supposed) new Itanium platform (so
they say, but I remain skeptical); and the Alpha platform that it inherited.
Even if Carly herself walked in and swore up and down that HP will continue
to support the Alpha, I would insist that there is no way HP is going to
commit resources to supporting three Unix platforms.  Right now, I think HP
is busy holding its finger to the wind and actively consulting The Magic 8
Ball and a Ouija board to determine its future Unix direction.

We use Alpha here.  I came to this shop from a predominantly Sun/Aix
environment.  I can say that Compaq's handling of the Alpha/Tru64 platform
make it the only version of Unix that makes NT look good.  My opinion is --
and this is just an opinion -- that any performance "enhancements" that were
achieved by the Compaq bunch were done so in the same way you would do it
with your PC: Overclock the bejeezus out of everything  with the
accompanying reduction of stability and component life.  I am convinced that
the latest Alpha technology is three year old tweaking of five year old
Alpha technology.

(Hope I didn't scuff up the soap box too much.)

And as long as I am at it here:
ps -eo args | nawk -F_ 'NF == 3 && /ora_smon_/ {print $3}'

Author: Stephen Lee