Hey all,

As I'm doing some perf tuning on a procedure using a 10046 trace with tkprof
(8.1.7 on HP/UX 11.0).  One of the queries from the tkprof has the following
output:

-----

SELECT QPM.PRODUCTLINE PL,MIN(PLN.PLANNERNO) PNO
FROM
 VISIB.QT_PRODUCTLINE_MEMBERS QPM,VISIB.PLANNERS PLN  WHERE
  UPPER(RTRIM(QPM.USERID)) = UPPER(RTRIM(PLN.PLANNER))  AND QPM.PRODUCTLINE
=
  :b1  GROUP BY PRODUCTLINE

call     count       cpu    elapsed       disk      query    current
rows
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
Parse        1      0.00       0.00          0          0          0
0
Execute  66491     19.21      20.59          0          0          0
0
Fetch   132982     83.54      90.78         88     332455     531928
66491
------- ------  -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
total   199474    102.75     111.37         88     332455     531928
66491

Misses in library cache during parse: 1
Optimizer goal: CHOOSE
Parsing user id: 256  (QT_PRODSCHED)   (recursive depth: 1)

Rows     Execution Plan
-------  ---------------------------------------------------
      0  SELECT STATEMENT   GOAL: CHOOSE
      0   SORT (GROUP BY NOSORT)
      0    HASH JOIN
      0     TABLE ACCESS   GOAL: ANALYZED (FULL) OF
                'QT_PRODUCTLINE_MEMBERS'
      0     TABLE ACCESS   GOAL: ANALYZED (FULL) OF 'PLANNERS'

-----

Yes, this is obviously bad by design.  What I don't understand is the high
"current" count.  From the docs, it says that this is normal for DML, but
says nothing about what this means for queries.  The SELECT statement is
defined as a cursor, and there is no "FOR UPDATE OF" clause in the cursor.

I've searched through Metalink about this, but haven't had any luck.  Does
anyone have an explanation?

TIA,
Rich

[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich