Dick,

I have already thoroughly RTFMed on this issue, but didn't find anything
suitable using ALTER SESSION SET NLS_*

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
NLS_LAN consists of 3 parts: language, territory and characterset. Language
and territory can be set/changed at session level as parameters NLS_LANGUAGE
and NLS_TERRITORY respectively. But there is no alternative (at least I
didn't find one) for characterset.

I can ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LANGUAGE=AMERICAN. However, this does not change
character encoding scheme.

Thanks,
Alex

Author: Alexandre Gorbatchev