If ur upgrading from nt 5 to 2000 then he first opt should work. Just
install oracle on w2000 and start up the db coz the services are n nt. but
if ur goin in for a fresh install of w2000, it is better to create a fresh
db and import.
Alternatively u can create a db with the same config of existig db and copy
the old db folder with that of ur new one.
hope this should work. wishes.
Regards,

Sathyanarayanan

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Jackson     |
|        |          Dumas"       |
|        |          <tjaros@webma|
|        |          il.co.za>    |
|        |                       |
|        |          29/11/2002   |
|        |          18:33        |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          ORACLE-L     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                      |
  |       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L   |
  |       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                         |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Sathyanaryanan K/VGIL)           |
  |       Subject:     Effect of Upgrading O/S to the 817|
  |       database !!!                                   |
  >------------------------------------------------------|

Hi

We are currently running Oracle 817 database on a Windows NT, version
5, service pack 6. We need to upgrade O/S to Windows 2000. What should
we do on the database side, do we need to do a new Oracle 817 software
installation after upgrading O/S and try to startup the database or do
we need to do everything from scratch, i.e. install software, create
database and import ?  I tought this should not have an effect on the
database, if that the case, do we then need to just try to startup the
database after O/S upgrade ? Please help ...your response will be
highly appreciated. Desperado

 http://www.webmail.co.za the South-African free email service

  NetWiseGurus.Com Portal - Your Own Internet Business Today!

Author: Jackson Dumas