Laura,

Are those really zeros in $34,000.05 or are they letter Os?  If so use
Replace.  (Beware of letter l being used instead of numeral 1 as well.)

Any leading or trailing spaces?  If so use Trim(unit_cost).

Just a couple of quick suggestions.

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator
Austin Independent School District
Austin, Texas
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    "Burton, Laura

                    L."                  To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

                    <BurtonL@prism        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    plus.com>            cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     To_Number

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    om

                    12/05/2002

                    01:24 PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

I have a table which contains a Unit_Cost varchar2(16) which contains
$34,000.05.  I can enter select to_number('$34,990.08','$999,999,999.99')
from dual; and the results is 34990.08.  However when I enter select
to_number(unit_cost,'$999,999,999.99') from elas.qdr I get ora-01722:
invalid number.

Is there any other way to do this?  I am trying to add a varchar2 field
that contains $ and commas.  I thought the to_number function would convert
the data to a number field.

Thanks,

Laura