Just because the development tools are object orientated does not mean that the
database has to be as well.

Dick Goulet

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Stephane=20Paquette?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:       12/20/2002 9:04 AM

Is this the future ???

I know one big bank where the development is object
oriented and the database (DB2 UDB in this case) is
used as a big flat file. The development is using
java, j2ee, bea weblogic.

 --- DENNIS WILLIAMS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit
: > Stefan - I believe the general consensus had
emerged
> that usually object
> features aren't worth the effort. Often there are
> few benefits, and if you
> don't do it correctly you may see bad performance.
> Two questions:
>    1. Are your developers/management enamored with
> the concept of object, or
> is this just your own curiosity?
>    2. Is there something about your application that
> leads you to believe
> that it might derive significant benefit from the
> object features?
> For general business applications it is hard to beat
> the flexibility of the
> good old traditional relational data modeling.
>    The lack of discussion may provide part of the
> answer to your question.
>
> Dennis Williams
> DBA, 40%OCP
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

=====
Stéphane Paquette
DBA Oracle et DB2, consultant entrepôt de données
Oracle and DB2 DBA, datawarehouse consultant

Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
magasinage.yahoo.ca
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Stephane=20Paquette?=