Bill,

I agree with Michael.  You've already got the data in a "suitable
datatype".  Why move it to a cumbersome, soon-to-be-obsolete datatype?  You
can use DBMS_LOB functionality on LOBs, not on Raw.

I'd be so happy if the couple dozen tables in our 3rd party Student
Information system that have Long or Long Raw columns had CLOB or BLOB
columns instead.  It would make converting them to partitioned tables much
easier.

I definitely vote to keep your CLOBs.

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator
Austin Independent School District
Austin, Texas
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Michael Fontana

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                      et>                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Subject:  Re: Conversion from CLOB to
RAW

                      01/10/2003 02:15

                      PM

                      Please respond to