Consistency is the key too.... imagine what would happen if I dropped a
column or changed it's definition, while a SQL statement or PL/SQL package
was executing. The data that was updated before the change may well be very
different in nature than the data after the change....

Borrowing from Ghostbusters if I may:

Dr. DBA: This database is about to face a disaster of biblical proportions.
Hapless Manager: What do you mean, "biblical?"
Sr. DBA Lead: We mean real wrath-of-God type stuff. Plagues, darkness--
Another DBA: The dead rising from the grave!
Sr. DBA: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes--
Dr. DBA: Riots in the streets, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria
Manager: So, it's Ok to cut the DBA budget then?

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Technical Management Consultant
TUSC - The Oracle Experts www.tusc.com
904.708.5076 Cell (it's everywhere that I am!)
Author of several books you can find on Amazon.com!