At 08:10 AM 1/30/2003 -0800, Fink, Dan wrote:
I know I am going to catch major grief for this, but I avoid shutdown abort
when possible. Shutdown immediate can take some time, as it will do
transaction rollback in serial (where recovery at startup can do it in
parallel and as needed). The main reason I avoid it is that there are known
bugs that will cause the database to be unrecoverable when a shutdown abort
is done while a kernel transaction is being performed. Granted, I have not
personally encountered this, and the chances of encountering it are slight,
but why take the risk?

do this:

alter system checkpoint;

then this:

shutdown abort;

Any risks should be eliminated by these actions.