Jonathan,

Thanks for the clarification. So, the leading 31 characters are used, not just 5 characters.

Regards
Hemant
At 04:43 AM 14-02-03 -0800, you wrote:

The metalink note is out of date - newer versions
of Oracle use the first 31 characters to build histograms.
Of course, if you have a column of URLs for Google search
results which all start with:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.oracle.serv
er

then you may have to rethink your design a bit.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 February 2003 03:15

>I have just begun trying Column histograms and have
>seen a better execution plan for a query
>on LOTRUN.RECTYPE when
>  a) LOTRUN had about 5million records
>  b) RECTYPE='A' is only 1570 records
>  c) RECTYPE='H' is the other 5mn-1570 records
>We wanted the RECTYPE Index to be used because all
>of our queries are on RECTYPE='A'
>The RBO would do an Index Range Scan which was quite good
>However, the CBO under CHOOSE would do an Index Fast Full
>Scan for both values.
>
>Once I collected column statistics with
>ANALYZE TABLE LOTRUN COMPUTE STATISTICS FOR COLUMNS RECTYPE SIZE 10
{I know, I don't need 10 buckets},
>a query for RECTYPE='A' does an Index Range Scan with 10 consistent
gets while the query for RECTYPE='H' does an

Author: Jonathan Lewis

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is :  http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale