hello

I'd advize you to go through the oracle ee security manual - there are several points
to be considered. e.g. starting options of the instance set in init<instance>.ora or
spfile. then you can distinguish between
... different types of logins ....
... with or without ssl ...
... with or without OID ....

that's what I know offhand.

Apologies for any typing mistakes I failed to notice.

Markus Reger

Oracle Applications DBA
Webmaster
MBC

University for Music and Performing Art
Vienna
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 02/16/03 06:13 AM >>>
Hi DBA's

Can somebody clarify the flwng:

DB: 9.x
OS: solaris 2.8

1.
To setup OS authentication we need to grant either
OSDBA or OSOPER to OS account( OS oracle a/c)?

so that we can connect to DB as
sqlplus / as sysdba

and we dont require a password file for this. is this
true ? or anything to be added this statement ?

2. If we are not using OS authentication , then we
setup a password file (exclusive) and connect to
database to do a startup, we issue

sqlplus sys as sysdba
passwd:

My doubt is, whether the above entry (password:
verifies the sys password ( if yes, from where it
verifies ? )

I connected  to DB successfully using

sqlplus sys as sysdba

without giving any password. (it also accepted
anything like abc, xyz, 123 etc.,)

I am not clear how this works ?

Can somebody clarify the above.

Thanks in advance,