-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 10:24 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Jay,

I have been using ASSM for last five months in our Datawarehouse
environment. Haven't had a chance to play with the OLTP side, yet.

Inserts are way faster as compared to system managed extent allocation. I
read Don's article on DBAZINE. However, I would like to add one caveat here:
ASSM does not *eliminate* buffer busy waits as the article claims; it
*reduces* them. BBW occur due to concurrent access to a buffer by more than
one session. This will be the case regardless of number of freelists. While
ASSM eliminates the freelist contention - thereby reducing BBW in inserts -
it does not reduce the likelihood that more than one sessions will try to
get the same block to the buffer cache simulataneously.

Table drops appear a little slower in ASSM; but that could be wrong - I
never timed dropping a table in the system managed mode.

HTH.

Arup Nanda