I'd also add that we had nothing but problems with names on HP prior to version
8.1.7.4.  Versions
8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.2 have worked flawlessly.

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      john.kanagaraj@hd

                      s.com                    To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Subject:  RE: Oracle Names Server 8.1.7
on HP 11

                      02/20/2003 12:19

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

Zabair,

In addition to the excellent replies you have recieved, be aware that the
Name Server will keep an open connection to the Repository, but will check
the local cache (in the names directory) to resolve any queries. (Performing
a DB query for every name resolution can be expensive!) I have had
situations where both our nameservers (no ddo, both on Solaris, 8.1.7) lost
connection to the repository (due to DB going down) and the NS continued to
work. if you restart them and they cannot find the repository, they will use
the caches. Of course, you should build monitoring scripts that check both
the repository as well as response from the NS for highly available servers.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I do know who holds my
future!

** The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
employer or clients **